Saturday, August 21, 2010

Do you tip your hairdresser? Why or why not?

No I do not. My hairdresser works out of her house and I know she keeps 100% of what I pay her...and trust me, she gets paid good.Do you tip your hairdresser? Why or why not?
of course i do, my hair dresser comes to my house and does my hair she also works at a real salon but since i am in a wheelchair she knows its difficult for me to go to her hair salon, she charges me 20 bucks and i give her 25 its only right to tip someone if they do a good job. just as you would tip at a restaurant. just because it is expensive does not mean you don't tip them thats just weird and not right. good service deserves a good tip.Do you tip your hairdresser? Why or why not?
Personally I don't because my hairdresser is my girlfriend and she does it for free. But I think that people should really tip their hairdresser. My girlfriend started working in a salon as soon as she got her license which was about 3 months after she graduated her program and high school. So when she got out of school she was no longer on her parents health insurance. So now she has no health insurance and is struggling to build a clientel. She only makes 50% percent commission and she can work and eight hour day and only make 30 bucks.





This is not a wage that you can live off of! Hairdressers work hard for their money and many of the young stylists are still struggling to pay off their schooling. So every little bit helps.
Actually, they don't make a hell of a lot more than you do, you just think that. Tips for hairdressers are absolutely proper and deserved when you get a good cut. Ten to fifteen percent of the cost is the usual tip. If you can't afford to do it, just don't. They will understand. But don't expect them to squeeze you in for an emergency or make multiple appointment changes, either. It works both ways in the service industry.


Auntie Kookoo
There are jobs where tipping is expected and/or acceptable. Hair styling is one of them.





Trust me, if you do not keep your hair stylist happy, they can really do damage to your hair, can't they? But even so, tipping should not be considered any sort of bribe, but an extra, MEANINGFUL, ';thank you'; for a job WELL done.





In most hair salons, the stylists RENT their ';chairs'; from the owner of the salon. Do you know how MUCH of their fee that the owner charges? I have heard in some salons that the stylist pays the owner 50% of their charges for the privilege of renting that chair in that salon!





That means that if your stylist charges you $20 for a simple haircut (cheap by any means!) they retain only $10 for their own expenses, and turn over the other $10 to the salon owner.





And what has to come out of that $10 they keep? Their:





--- TAXES... they are not employees of the salon owner, but a sub-contractor, which means that THEY THEMSELVES have to pay THEIR OWN income taxes, Social Security Income tax, SELF-EMPLOYMENT tax... etc etc. Or don't you realize that?





--- BUSINESS EXPENSES/Tools: Yes, as Independent Contractors, they must provide their own ';hardware';... combs, brushes, aprons, etc... anything the salon does not contain (sink, dryer, chair).





--- FOOD/HOUSING/GAS/UTILITIES/ETC.: Well.. they have to EAT don't they? Along with all their other living expenses.... electricity, heat, rent/mortgage, whatever they need to LIVE!





Well... after all these things, that doesn't leave much leftover for...





--- PROFIT: Well? Doesn't the person have a RIGHT to ANY PROFIT? This IS a CAPITALIST economy, right?





That meager $10 has to stretch a LONG way before it starts to cover the food on the table much less a profit for their work! WHY should anyone begrudge that tip... ESPECIALLY if they have EARNED it by doing a GOOD JOB? Wouldn't YOU like to get a RAISE if you do a GOOD JOB?








Have a polite day.
No I stopped tipping. I think they should include it in the price. It is expensive enough. I use to tip though. I pretty much stopped tipping anyone. I think the only person I would give a tip to would be someone carrying my bags at an airport.
yes. do you like your hair cut nice? why should she go the extra mile if she's not going to get tipped? you get good service when you tip.
Yes, of course! She's very pleasant and she does a great job. I always tip her more than the standard 20%.
Yes, it's called incentive.
I tip everyone who does work for me.
No, I don't. I usually go to the same hair salon or braid shop because of it's proximity (I don't drive), so I am forced to deal with the poor service.





At both of these places the stylist are usually late. The woman that braids my hair almost always shows up late. I will set an appointment for 9:30 am and then she will show up a half an hour to an hour and a half late.





At the hair salon I went to the stylist would try to do two people's hair at once, which definitely makes the time spent in the salon much longer than what it has to be.





I never gives tips when getting my hair done, because the service is just never all that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment