Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tipping a Hairdresser?

If a hairdresser works out of his/her home and I visit and receive services should I tip the hairdresser. If I do tip do I tip the same as I would ina salon (20%) or less?Tipping a Hairdresser?
I am a stylist, though I do not work out of my home or own my own business. The answer to this is yes you should tip the same as you would in a salon.





Personally where I work, (I make a commission some salons are different) more than basically half of what you are charged goes to the salon for products and overhead.





So whatever she/he is charging you also has to cover the cost of the scissors, the water, the electricity and any other chemical or product she uses on your hair.





That stuff is so expensive. Exspecially if she is not buying in bulk like a big chain would. You probably are paying a little less than what you would at a salon, and it is probably a nice freindly environment. So for her hard work and working out of her home, and of course if you are pleased with your hair then she deserves a tip.





But at the same time tips are optional. They are very much appreciated, personally as a stylist I do not require it. Obviousely service would not be turned away or someone would not be given a bad hair service because you didn't tip or gave a bad tip. I hope this helped!!Tipping a Hairdresser?
I usually tip 10-15% BEFORE Tax. BEFORE tax, that's the rub. 20% is more than substantial
yes. you shuld tip the same =]
YES !





I work out of my home on occasion, and I charge very little. Working from home is actually harder because you usually end up squeezing people in to make a couple bucks and help someone out in the process. Many times I get calls about 'oh I just colored my hair and its all screwed up' and they want me to run to their rescue. Many people DONT think you should tip someone who works from home, or a business owner but to say its rude to do so is ridiculous ! I think some cheap butt made that one up ! The stylist is still working hard for you, and deserves a tip. 15-20% and if its extra time consuming go with the 20 for certain. The more products used, the time, her talent and expertise all goes into the tip. Besides if you need slid in for something important or because you screwed up your color yourself, she will be more than likely to oblige. There is this HUGE misconception that hairstylists are loaded. Quite frankly they live for their tips ! Imagine having a job where you didn't know how much your would clear at the end of the month? Some weeks are really good, others purely suck. So pass the word to all your friends. Tipping a stylist whether she does it from home or a salon, or owns or not, is a big, big, YES !
Yes you should tip the same as you would in a salon. This person is working out of his/her home and probably charging far less than they would have to in a salon, so tip well. It will likely still cost less than at a salon.
That's interesting... they say if the hairdresser owns the salon you shouldn't tip, but i think this is a bit different. Do what feels best. I'd probably tip.
yes u should tip your stylist!!!!
Traditional etiquette says that it's improper to tip a business OWNER, and anyone working out of their own home would be considered the ';owner'; of their business, but... I think it's always appropriate to follow your instincts.





Always tip for good service, especially if the service provider is employed by someone else. 15% is adequate (I always err on the plus side).
i would say if your hairdresser does a good job for you and you leave her feeling good you should tip her the same as you would in a salon. Especially if it is a favor for you that shes doing it from her home to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment